Sunday, August 20, 2006

Unbelievable... TV dulls pain

This may come as a shock to those who have never owned (or seen, or been around) a television, but apparently watching tv is distracting enough that it can be called analgesic... it dulls pain.

It takes me back to those nights when I would watch 4 Tivo'd episodes of "24" in a row, just to forget that I didn't want to do my assignments and couldn't bear the thought of going back to work the next morning. 'Course having a beer always enhanced the experience I was going for... hmmm, maybe they should study the analgesic effects of beer...

Now, you may get the sense that I'm a little cynical; I am concerned about the kinds of studies that get funded, especially when funding is so hard to come by these days.* Actually, I can't help but pick fun at studies that maybe should remain anecdotal.

There is something good to say about this study, however; using tv as an analgesic for small children undergoing routine procedures (blood draws) is a cheap, non-invasive and apparently effective way to decrease the stress of the procedure. Finding another use for tv besides "babysitter" is laudable. Not that I do that, by the way.

* This study was performed in Italy, not in the U.S.

2 comments:

jilly said...

if you ever decide to do a study on the analgesic effects of beer, vodka, or jagermeister, i'd like to volunteer my time. but only because it's in the name of science, natch.

Anonymous said...

There have been lots of times when I've used TV to dull nausea, especially DVDs. A couple of years ago I got pneumonia and re-ran the movie 10 Things I Hate About You about 5 times over the course of a night just so I could sleep...

Maybe there's something to it. ;>

Nicolle